2. New Glasses. My eyesight suffered terribly when I was pregnant with Jasper. Like, I can't read most of the overhead signing at work until I am up on it. And don't ask me to read anything from the credits when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV. Yeah, it's bad. So an eye exam and new glasses for me. Cat eyes would be ideal and I'd like for the hunt for glasses to not take a majority of the year.
3. Tattoo. I've wanted another tattoo for a long time but have been unsure what to get and which artist to use. While working I helped a guest with beautiful mandala tattoos on her arm. I asked her who had done the work and it turned out to be the same guy a friend of mine had used. A couple weeks later I was at a neighborhood meeting and started chatting up a girl next to me. Turns out she is married to the aforementioned artist! So I figure this is a sign from the universe that this is supposed to happen. I emailed my neighbor (who helps book her husbands work) and when she asked me about what kind of tattoo I wanted this is what I said:
I've wanted mandalas for a while but have been trying to think of a way to make them more personal. I spent a month in Italy and loved the huge stained glass rose windows in the cathedrals, especially the Duomo in Florence. I was thinking of somehow incorporating that inspiration into the tattoo. And then I thought of maybe throwing a cat memorial (my beloved cat Oliver) and a dinosaur (because I've always loved them) in there because I want the tattoo to be my own. definitely want colorful and bold. No more tiny tattoos that no one can see.
4. More travel. I have a trip to MN planned in February and, if Heath's job stays reliable, we are going to try to spend another month up there this summer. My bro is getting married in June so we'd time our trip around that. I'd also LOVE to get to Atlanta to see one of my best friends who I haven't seen since Ruby was 6 months old.
5. More Yoga/less TV. We cancelled cable a few months ago but we didn't cancel internet or Netflix so really we watch about the same amount of TV that we did before. Sure, we have no idea what is going on on The Walking Dead but so far I've been able to avoid any spoilers. More yoga and physical activity in general, really. I have a Fit Bit and regularly walk 10,000-20,000 steps a day which is great but unfortunately I still love the food a little too much. I've maintained (at this point) my highest weight ever for about a year but things need to start going the other direction ASAP.
6. More Friends. I don't mean that I want more friends, I am actually incredibly blessed to have a large amount of friends, I mean I want more time with those friends. When I had Ruby I counted on some sleepless nights, being puked on, not being able to have nice things, etc. but I didn't expect that sometimes It would be months between seeing my friends. It has actually been one of the harder things about becoming a parent. Heath and his friends have had a regular game night once a week for about 13 years so obviously parents can get together. I don't feel as though my friends suffer from too much "mom guilt" and don't want to take time away from the kids, I think that not getting together comes down to being exhausted. We're tired. Really tired. In the long run though I think we'll be happier and better parents if we take the time to get away and hang out with friends. If you happen to be one of my friends with no kids, I appreciate you and the time we've been able to spend together very much!
7. Give Less Fucks. Even though I am a grown ass woman I still suffer from Care-what-others-think-itis. I've seen in others who are older than me that not caring what others think about you comes with age and experience but shit, I don't want to wait that long! Besides, if one of my big parenting lessons for the kids is "Be Yourself" than I have to walk the walk and be an example for them.
8. More Art. See more, do more. Whether it's some of my ceramic work or decorated sugar cookies or a photo session with the kids. I don't care as long as it stirs my creative juices.