- February 2: An innocent trip to the park on an unseasonably warm day turned into Ruby falling into a pond from a bridge and me jumping in after her. I broke my ankle and was out of commission for about 3 months but without a doubt I would do it again a thousand times. Thankfully my ankle has healed really well. I only have a day every once in a while that it gets a little sore from being on my feet all day and the doctor said it wasn't the type of injury that you'd feel on a rainy or cold day. Ruby doesn't seem to have any memory of the event which doesn't surprise me considering she was up on the bridge naked, wrapped in a strangers coat laughing and pointing at the ducks mere seconds after coming out of the water.
- Because of the broken ankle I suddenly had lots of time on my hands. I started making more art than I'd made since graduating in May of '10. Being at home I started making some mixed media work. After I was back on my feet I started creating more ceramic cells and spending a lot more time in the studio. I did my first art fair in Owensboro with my friend Staci, started my Etsy shop (even had a couple of sales!), and have had my work displayed a couple places around town. I was also accepted into the Access to Market program, part of the Kentucky Small Business Development Center.
- In mid-March I took over some of the duties of the exhibitions coordinator at LAL. The broken ankle got in the way of some training I should have gotten so it was a little bit of a fake-it-til-you-make-it situation but thankfully the rest of the staff and others were incredibly helpful. It was a great experience.
- I was able to go home to Minnesota 4 times this year. Including once for a wedding, once to celebrate my grandma's 90th birthday, and a last minute trip home right before the holidays. We even had a couple visits from my family. It's nice when we get to see each other so often. It's almost like we aren't 900 miles apart. Almost.
- I had several of Ruby's photos picked to be featured on Offbeat Families, 7 I think? I don't get anything for it but it's pretty cool anyway.
- I hit my 15 year mark with Target.
Looking back the year hasn't been a total fail...but why does it feel like it? Maybe it's just this end of the year funk I'm in right now. I stopped making resolutions long ago but I do have some goals for this year, including:
- Being nicer to myself. Stop eating crap, exercise, drink more water, eat more fruits and veggies, etc.
- Simplify, simplify, simplify. Maybe I'll hire someone to mow our lawn this year, just to take something off of my plate. Even though that makes me feel totally lame.
- Spending more time with friends. Girls night has gone the way of the dodo and I miss seeing my friends!
- Push myself when it comes to my art...even though I want to climb into a hole and never come out. I plan on entering a few art fairs and shows.
- Vacation. No definite plans yet but we are looking at spending some time in Dublin in late 2013. Heath and I haven't been on vacation since Florida right before Ruby was born so I think it's about time. Sorry, Rubes, you'll miss out on this one. We'll take you to Europe next time.
Any big plans for 2013 out there? Thank you so much for hanging out with me via the blog. I look forward to sharing more exciting things with you this next year!